Mother Jugs and Speed

Share your secrets, show us an in progress photo, or do a follow along build.
Rich
Site Admin

Mother Jugs and Speed

Post by Rich » Sat May 06, 2023 4:34 pm

The information below, was pulled off of the forum at EmergencyModeler. I am going to let that go, and wanted to save some information. The build I was doing, was in 1:43 scale, using the A Team van by Hot Wheels. I got pretty far along, and found the rear top corner of the body mis-shaped. I basically gave up on it. I am going to pick up a very similar project soon, and want the information to be here, because you know the internet. I will post some parts of the build as replies. Rich

One of the most recognized ambulance's of all time, I am starting a new project and will do a history and follow along. The ambulance from the 1976 movie, was done by the custom shop of Dean Jeffries. I have always wanted an accurate model of it since I first saw the movie. I have seen many attempts at replicating it, but most fall far short of the actual movie car. For many years, I have collected photos and articles from the movie on this ambulance. One day in late 2012, while searching the internet for photos, I found a phone number for Dean's California shop, and called it. I was hoping to find out if they had any photos. Dean actually answered the phone. I told him who I was, and what my intentions were, and we talked for about an hour about the ambulance and having it produced in diecast. I made arrangements to travel to California and sit down with Dean and record the interview. He told me that he had a scrap book of the build, which he had for all of his custom works. I also made arrangements to take a copier and scanner. He was very receptive to having a model done, and was not concerned at the moment with royalties and cost. Like me he wanted the models. I followed up with a letter to his firm, and unfortunately Dean died before I could get there to pick his brain.

He did tell me that indeed, the vans were 1975 Chevrolet G20's. I mentioned vans. He told me that the studio sent over TWO Chevrolet G20 vans. He was to build one as show and one as the film car. I remember the year the movie came out, there was a spread about it in one of the car magazines of the times. Over the years, there has been so much false information posted about the ambulance and its builder. It was not built by National or one of the smaller Los Angeles firms as has been posted many times. They were built from basic vans in the Dean Jeffries shop. I asked in particular about the raised roof. He told me that he also constructed it, out of fiberglass. So there you have it, right from his mouth. He did tell me he bought all of the lights and siren speakers and added on ambulance equipment from various firms in Los Angeles. The interior was made in his shops as well.

I had found an article from quite a few years back, from a Washington newspaper. The article showed the ambulance back in its original street look. It was converted back to a street van, and sold to an ambulance company in Washington. I asked Dean about this, and he confirmed that one was in Washington, and suspected it has long been disposed of. The other, he thought was in a warehouse somewhere in Southern California. I guess we wont know about this chapter until it surfaces, if it ever does. Thinking that the original show ambulance from the movie was long gone, it has re-surfaced, in Washington state. The owner confirms it as the ambulance from the movie, as it was his rig at the ambulance firm in Washington and he drove it until it was retired. It does not look exactly the same. It sports a twin sonic on the roof, and some emblems are different. It does have a different front end, as it was put back to original. Most everything looks the same as the movie car, and there is not much doubt that it is the original.

The Chevrolet 3rd generation vans were made from 1971 to 1996. There was very little change to the sheet metal during these times. I have chosen to use the A Team van from Hot Wheels Elite in 1:43 scale as a starting point. This van is advertised as a 1983 GMC. In 1978, the sheet metal changed a bit up front, on the fenders. However, the A Team van does not reflect this change, or it was changed on the van when it was customized. Therefore, it will work quite well as a 1975, as the sheet metal was identical. Also, the wide fender flares and front air dam are already incorporated in to the model. Not accurate, but easily fixed.

The first thing I did was take it apart, and bag all of the parts. Then it went in to the stripper. Here you can see the start of the project. Nothing has been altered yet in these photos. You can see that there will be some work required to modify the front air dam. On the MJ & S version, the fog lights were recessed in to the air dam. On the A Team version, they are molded in externally. Also, the fender flares end at the lower body line on the MJ & S, they extend down to the running boards on the A Team van. Another easy fix. The hole for the sun roof and running lights will have to be filled. And new windows will have to be cut in the passenger side. And an all new raised roof will have to be fabricated, along with the front and side lights for it. The rear bumper will also present a challenge.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:15:56 AM by RichK »
Administrator

Sirentoys

Re: Mother Jugs and Speed

Post by Sirentoys » Sat May 06, 2023 9:55 pm

Rich,

Thanks for bringing this over. A really good read. It doesn't feel like almost 8 years since you first posted it.

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:33 pm

So much false information out there. The false information surfaces annually it seems. Most dont know it, but Dean Jefferies made two of the ambulances used in the movie. As I mentioned above, one was put back to street look, and sold to a private ambulance firm in Prosser, Washington. I have photos of when it was found in a barn, and brought back to life. It still retains the street look. The other was retained by Dean Jefferies for a time. It was used as the ambulance on a very short lived TV show, that was trying to copy the movie. There were some changes made to it. For one, the side flood lights were made red. Again, most folks believe whatever they read, and dont bother to do some research. Here is a photo of the two vans sitting side by side at Dean Jefferies studios/shops. And here also is a photo of the one Dean retained for a time, with the side lights now red. The F+B name was retained, but the Los Angeles County Paramedic sticker was removed from the driver side. What was that old saying about a picture?
Attachments
MJS article 1 Travelin Vans May 1976.jpg
MJS article 1 Travelin Vans May 1976.jpg (334.69 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Mother_Juggs_and_Speed_-_05_Joanne_Nail.jpg
Mother_Juggs_and_Speed_-_05_Joanne_Nail.jpg (701.66 KiB) Viewed 3012 times
Administrator

Troy

Post by Troy » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:49 pm

You've always had the knowledge :) This isn't accurate to anything from the movie, but I added your decals to my Caddy ambulance to give it some life.
Attachments
IMG-3250.jpg
IMG-3250.jpg (573.57 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:45 pm

Hey Troy, you need a set of steer horns on the roof. Love the look!!
Administrator