Need HELP with Tampo removal when most methods are failing.

Share your secrets, show us an in progress photo, or do a follow along build.
Brian49

Need HELP with Tampo removal when most methods are failing.

Post by Brian49 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 pm

I’m am currently doing some custom work on some Matchbox Hazard Squads from the old Supreme Heroes line. Anyway the Tampos are a bit different then most seen as on a MBX, HW or other model, and I recall at the time the Mattel team mentioning they where trying a different technique or material on some of the Tampos a few years ago and this appears to be one of them (some thing like Laser Pixel, or something with laser). I have tried the usual acetone, non-acetone nail polish remover, white board markers, goof off and such with no luck effecting the Tampos. I have striped several other models from the Supreme Heroes line with no issues, so I don’t think they would have used a clear coat on this one model out of the group.

Any one able to offer some help?

https://i.imgur.com/TsG1SyL_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

Sirentoys

Re: Need HELP with Tampo removal when most methods are failing.

Post by Sirentoys » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:11 am

They could be either the Fusion graphics. If they are it would be like a wrap. You will need to remove the entire wrap.

The other possibility is the jet print. I haven’t tried to remove them.

Brian49

Post by Brian49 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 pm

The Jet print sounds like it might be right, any one with any thoughts?

I don’t believe it’s a wrap.

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:29 am

Its probably "hot patch". We used that at Boley. It is put on with heat, and fuses in to the paint. It is most often used on toys, so that the ink does not come off. It has to be sanded off or the paint stripped. Nothing I tried ever worked.
Administrator

Brian49

Post by Brian49 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Rich,

Note sure, I remember Micheal on the MBX team saying these where one of several models they were experiencing with a new graphic application, and like I said above recall laser being used in the name.

I question the “hot patch” only because the hazard squad I showed has fairly grainy graphics as did the other models MBX did with this procedure. All the Boley HO models I have have very crisp Tampos.