Old Decal Question

Share your secrets, show us an in progress photo, or do a follow along build.
CCFR-45

Old Decal Question

Post by CCFR-45 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 am

Hey Guys.

Does anyone have any experience using Microscale Liquid Decal Film to bring old decals back to life? I've got some old decals I'd like to use but I'm rather scared they are going to just crumble. I've found limited directions online, and I just wanted to see if anyone has experience or some tips and tricks for this product?

Thank you
Steven
Steven

Check Out My Photography Website Full of Police, Fire, And Aviation Pictures.
www.bluefireflight.com

Sirentoys

Re: Old Decal Question

Post by Sirentoys » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 am

I use this for both coating my homemade laser printed decals and coating old decals. It does a pretty good job. I just brush it on and let it dry. For the old printed MIcroscale and other decals I try not to go over the original film too much.

CCFR-45

Post by CCFR-45 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Do you brush it right on to the decal paper itself? or after you put it on the car?
Steven

www.bluefireflight.com

policecarmodels

Post by policecarmodels » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:53 pm

CCFR-45 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:10 pm
Do you brush it right on to the decal paper itself? or after you put it on the car?
Brush Liquid Decal Film on the decal BEFORE you cut and dip in water. (Brush it on the 'front side' of the decal, not the back of the paper!)

Brush it on, covering all of the markings you want to use. Let it dry completely , then cut the decal and dip in water as normal.

Liquid Decal Film SHOULD basically re clear coat the decal, preventing cracking and shattering once the decal hits the water. I might suggest that you check first on an extra marking if you have one to make sure the liquid decal film has done its job.

You can also re clear coat decals on the sheet with just about any clear coat you have, Testors gloss cote, Tamiya clear gloss.... basically you are giving the decal a new clear top coat, which should help prevent issues once the decal hits the water.

Liquid Decal Film is NOT a clear coat to be used once the decals have been applied, it makes a huge mess!!

CCFR-45

Post by CCFR-45 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Thank you for the explanation!
Steven

www.bluefireflight.com