Resin Question

Share your secrets, show us an in progress photo, or do a follow along build.
cpdgreg

Resin Question

Post by cpdgreg » Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 am

I recently acquired the NEO 1972 Dodge Polara resin kit. Does anyone have experience with one? Is it like other resin kits in that it needs to be degreased with Westley's Bleche-Wite tire cleaner before prime/paint? What other cleaners have you used for prepping resin kits for paint?

M1968Q

Re: Resin Question

Post by M1968Q » Sat May 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Greg - I have the kit also but haven't built it yet. Eyeballing it my plan would be to prep it like any other resin kit, i.e., I'll be using Westley's.

cpdgreg

Post by cpdgreg » Sat May 12, 2018 3:48 pm

That's what I was thinking too. Just wondering what others who've built it have done first. I will make it into the current configuration of my restoration (since replacing the Mars bar with a single Tripp Lite)

M1968Q

Post by M1968Q » Sat May 12, 2018 11:44 pm

Nice - looking forward to seeing the model.

WHITELAWSR

Post by WHITELAWSR » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:49 am

I have built a couple of models using the NEO Dodge kit and I treated it like any resin piece and did soak it overnight in Westley's. The kit goes together really nice and perhaps the biggest challenge is putting in the glass without glue marks, especially the front windshield. Be patient and you will have a great model.

Chariots of Fire

Post by Chariots of Fire » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:07 pm

A bit late to the dance but if you have not put the windshield in yet, try using two part epoxy. Mix the epoxy and spread it evenly on the surface where the windshield will go. Let it set up a bit so that it is real tacky but not runny. Carefully set the windshield in place and temporarily secure it with masking tape or anything else that will keep it in position. When the epoxy sets the windshield will be permanently set as well and there won't be any glue marks.