Multiple layer decal work NYPD ESU Ford

Showcase and discuss police related models here.
Rich
Site Admin

Multiple layer decal work NYPD ESU Ford

Post by Rich » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Here is another lesson in layering. The pink stripe on this NYPD ESU K9 unit is a single decal. The blue outlines, are also separate decals. I could have printed them as one, but trapping the pink under the blue, you would see a bit of an outline. Most folks would not notice it, but I do, and I didn't want it on these models. The NYPD on the door is three decals. The blue goes down first. Once dry, it gets a white decal, that is .0005 smaller than the final pink. This way, no trapping is required, and no outlines are visible. The Emergency Service and police dog decals are white on pink, then they get a blue top piece. Same with the front Police and the unit and ESU number. Very time consuming, and very unforgiving of mistakes. It is imperative that you let each layer dry before moving on to the next. When I start the other side, I will do a few follow along photos so you can see it from start to finish.
Attachments
NYPD Pink 2.JPG
NYPD Pink 2.JPG (222.96 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
Administrator

CCFR-45

Re: Multiple layer decal work NYPD ESU Ford

Post by CCFR-45 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Nice work Rich. Layering is difficult sometimes for sure
Steven

Check Out My Photography Website Full of Police, Fire, And Aviation Pictures.
www.bluefireflight.com

Troy

Post by Troy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:36 am

Amazing and perfection at it's best. Why don't you just print out your decals on a label maker and slap them on a car to sell on eBay like the rest? :roll: That was sarcasm by the way. It's unfortunate that kids now days will have no idea or respect for the work you have done for the past 40 years. It's definitely a dying hobby but men like you continue to show what passion goes into the work the few can do anymore.

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 am

Thanks for the kind words Troy. I am trying to keep the hobby alive, but its not getting better, that is for sure. I am also starting to move away from Facebook and back on this and my Emergency Modeler forums. I see guys on Facebook posting the same stuff on 15 different pages. I guess they don't want to miss anyone. And the label maker decal crowd, the criminals and the frauds have all moved to Facebook. Although at times entertaining, at the same time its sort of sad. Its mostly a race to see who can post the most. Another sign of the times.
Administrator

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 am

This is about as close to perfect as it comes. I have to learn this patience.

As for Facebook, I am also visiting the pages less. You are correct, it is the same guys and stuff on the same multiple pages. You would think it could be combined into 1 or 2 to same the time and effort. There are also several talented modelers that just would have fantastic models if they just did the last 10%. But they just slap on some labels, sloppy details. etc.Many of you here have pushed my limits with suggestions and simply building great models. I am forever grateful for that.

scubaski

Post by scubaski » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:31 am

Great work Rich, as usual, and a great lesson for those that don't know what it takes to make a quality product

CCFR-45

Post by CCFR-45 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Rich wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:57 am
Thanks for the kind words Troy. I am trying to keep the hobby alive, but its not getting better, that is for sure. I am also starting to move away from Facebook and back on this and my Emergency Modeler forums. I see guys on Facebook posting the same stuff on 15 different pages. I guess they don't want to miss anyone. And the label maker decal crowd, the criminals and the frauds have all moved to Facebook. Although at times entertaining, at the same time its sort of sad. Its mostly a race to see who can post the most. Another sign of the times.
Rich,

As a guy that never uses Facebook, not even for my personal self, Its good to sign the migration back to the forums. I look forward to seeing more of what you build.

I need to be better at posting what I build to help this community grow, even if its just a little bit.

Thanks for sharing!
Steven

www.bluefireflight.com

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm

Here is a photo of the completed driver side. Including the mirror face, and two door handle decals per door, there are 43 decals or decal pieces on this side. The top pink stripe is two pieces. Everywhere you see pink on blue, there is white under the pink, so there are 3 decals each. It was worth it.
Attachments
NYPD Pink 4.JPG
NYPD Pink 4.JPG (162.8 KiB) Viewed 4161 times
Administrator

CCFR-45

Post by CCFR-45 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Fantastic work! Hard work for sure, but the finial product is great.

Thanks for sharing
Steven

www.bluefireflight.com

JoeO

Post by JoeO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 am

Rich wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:38 pm
Here is a photo of the completed driver side. Including the mirror face, and two door handle decals per door, there are 43 decals or decal pieces on this side. The top pink stripe is two pieces. Everywhere you see pink on blue, there is white under the pink, so there are 3 decals each. It was worth it.
Everything you do is worth it :) Awesome job