Alaska Forestry

Showcase and discuss all fire related models, stations, dioramas.
Rich
Site Admin

Alaska Forestry

Post by Rich » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:00 pm

This is a Greenlight 1:64 scale. I took off the rack, and drilled out the mushroom fasteners. Once I got the chassis off, I drilled out the stems so I could use screws to put the chassis back on. I took the rest of it apart, and stripped the cab and chassis. They were painted with automotive base coat/clear coat Alaska Forestry spec color that I had custom mixed. Its a DuPont color, but not the 7744U Lime Yellow. When the cab was dry, I masked off around the hood, and painted it flat black. Once it was dry, I clear coated the cab and body. I put the decals on the hood and let it dry overnight. Then I masked off around the hood again, and painted it flat clear. When dry, I put it all back together and screwed the chassis on to the stems. The silver paint is an acrylic hobby paint made by Ammo. It is pretty bright, but does not cover on the first coat. It sticks to flat really well, but painting over gloss needs more than one coat. The lightbar is one of my laser cut pieces, painted with Tamiya clear red. I have another one (Chevy) painted up, just need to get it back together.
Attachments
Alaska Forestry Ram 1.JPG
Alaska Forestry Ram 1.JPG (125.27 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Alaska Forestry Ram 2.JPG
Alaska Forestry Ram 2.JPG (133.64 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Alaska Forestry Ram 3.JPG
Alaska Forestry Ram 3.JPG (135.83 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Administrator

UnMarkedCarr

Re: Alaska Forestry

Post by UnMarkedCarr » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:07 am

I like it! We don't see too many Alaska models. Is Tower Hobbies still doing your mixes for you?

Engine104

Post by Engine104 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:18 am

That looks great, Rich!

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:54 pm

Mark, I have paint mixed by whoever is cheapest these days. A lot of times, a local auto body store can do it, if you have the codes. Its pretty expensive shipping one can of paint.
Administrator

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:55 pm

I seems repetitive, but great work. You know I like ones that are a little off the beaten path and this fits the bill. Plus anything yellow or lime check the boxes for me. A winner for sure.

Chariots of Fire

Post by Chariots of Fire » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:19 am

Can you elaborate a bit more on the chrome paint? It looks exceptional! I've used alclad with an air brush and for small things a Molotow pen. Have not heard of what you mentioned. Great job on reworking the rig. Very nicely done!

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:06 pm

Hey Charlie, I wouldn't say its chrome. Its a nice shiny silver. If you recall the small bottles of Testors chrome silver, which I used to use on models. Its very similar, but its not enamel. The Testors paint took forever to dry, and had to be mixed very well before using. This silver from Ammo comes in a plastic bottle, that has a shaker pellet in it. And its acrylic, so it dries very fast. What I like about it, no streaks or brush marks. It also does a good job at leveling. As I mentioned, it does not cover very well on smooth surfaces, even though its smooth paint. So you have to do several light coats. I wanted a shiny look, but not chrome, and not the flat of aluminum.
Administrator