Matchbox Update

Showcase and discuss all fire related models, stations, dioramas.
Chariots of Fire

Matchbox Update

Post by Chariots of Fire » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:39 am

I'm sort of in between projects but was looking for something simple and fun to do in the meantime. Matchbox has made a number of different versions of the Ford F550 with a fire body. Most if not all have diecast cabs and plastic bodies with graphics and color being the only differences. But they are plain in many respects. So I decided to have some fun with one just to see what the results might be.
Here is an unpainted MB rig (white) except for the silver I did a long time ago and a repainted and lettered version for "Smallboro Fire and Rescue".
100_1169.JPG
100_1169.JPG (438.68 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
I took the red rig apart and used paint stripper to get rid of the original paint and graphics on the cab. There were no graphics on the body but the plastic color did not match the cab. They were both painted with Engine Red. The cab interior was painted flat black and then highlighted with some gray pastels. While the clear windshield/lightbar was out I painted the lightbar clear red.
The cabinets were painted silver along with the light bases on the back of the body and the body sides above the wheel wells. I used a black wash to highlight the supposed portable pump between the hose reels. I added a piece of wire to simulate the end of the hose. Clear red and orange were used for tail lights and directionals. The rear bumper was painted with bright reefer yellow.
Then I made some decals on the ALPS of white stripes for the cab and body sides, a number for the cab roof and a gold leaf Smallboro Fire Rescue and maltese cross for the cab doors.
It's not perfect. We are dealing with a Matchbox casting and some of the representations are less than perfect but the change is noticeable and makes the Matchbox toy a little more like a model. A fun afternoon project.
Attachments
100_1170.JPG
100_1170.JPG (358.18 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
100_1172.JPG
100_1172.JPG (294.64 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
100_1173.JPG
100_1173.JPG (293.86 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

UnMarkedCarr

Re: Matchbox Update

Post by UnMarkedCarr » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:27 pm

Great job!

Sirentoys

Re: Matchbox Update

Post by Sirentoys » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:49 am

Nice work. I like dong these "sandbox" toys as a way to both try new tricks, hone skills and get a sense of completion. They are both cheap are not worth getting worked up over if it doesn't go well.