In progress LAFD Crown pumper

Showcase and discuss all fire related models, stations, dioramas.
Xavier

In progress LAFD Crown pumper

Post by Xavier » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Hi everybody

I wanted too try a kitbash not too complicated involving a working led beacon. So the Code 3 LAFD Crown pumper seemed perfect.

Here are the first steps : all parts are stripped aside. The beacon is taken out and a new one, custom-built with 4 leds is made. Tested and .. it works !

The rear orange hazard lights are also ready to be tested

A small video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTNNtVDeV-k

Any comment welcome !

Xav

Chariots of Fire

Re: In progress LAFD Crown pumper

Post by Chariots of Fire » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Good work! What sort of small electronics panel will you use to activate the lights?

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:21 am

I have yet to attempt lighting. I am sure when I need more frustration and failure I will give it is shot.

But seriously, it looks great.

Do they have white/clear LED in this size? I was thinking having one section clear and painting the remaining red would look really cool.

Rivet Counter

Post by Rivet Counter » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Looks great! The 4 LEDs in the rotary beacon look hood but they would benefit from some PWM. What are you using to control the flashing?

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:48 pm

Hi all,

took a bit of time before finishing the model (some more needed work was to be done first), but he it is.

The pumper is finished, or nearly finished (the steady burning light has yet to be permanently wired to a battery).

To answer your questions : the leds are controled with small integrated circuits with different processors (ON/OF or 1/2/3/4). That's where my bad english shows its limits ! These can be bought but I'm considering programming them myself with picaxe processors. Rivet counter, if yiou have any tips to improve this small work, I'm all hears ! That would be very welcome.

Theses smd leds can be found flashing red, white (cold or sunny, useful for old front lights), orange, blue and green. The leds themselves, when not lightened, are clear. It's quite nice to play with leds and, in my opinion, it adds a very realistic part to a model. Next step is a diorama..

So, for your comments, here is a video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8k9K1c0dWk

Any comments welcome !

Xav

CCFR-45

Post by CCFR-45 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:41 pm

That looks great! I really like how the main light looks like its slowly rotating. Great work!

Thanks for sharing
Steven

Check Out My Photography Website Full of Police, Fire, And Aviation Pictures.
www.bluefireflight.com