Early NYC EMS

Showcase and discuss all fire related models, stations, dioramas.
Rich
Site Admin

Early NYC EMS

Post by Rich » Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 pm

I spent some time these past few weeks working on this. It represents a Grumman Olson Kurbmaster Jr. of the NYC EMS when it was run by the Health and Hospitals Corp. It is a cheap 1:64 scale piece made by Lledo. It is very close to the actual Kurbmaster, but I don't know what the body was supposed to be. It was stripped, and all detail sanded off of the rear roll up cargo door. A new rear skin was made with the doors used for ambulances. Once it was dry, it was sanded smooth, and all the imperfections were filled in. Some more sanding, then primer and look for imperfections. As a cheap diecast, there are plenty of body bubbles, dents, scratches and all sorts of imperfections. Most were sanded smooth and filled in. Then it got its red and white paint. While the paint was drying, I made the front and rear bumpers. The front of these units had rubber water bottle type shock absorbers. I made one, then cast it a few times to get identical copies. The rear bumper was made from part of a Code 3 tanker's porta tank holder. I copied that in resin as well, so I would have matching sides/. I use more of the Code 3 pieces to make the bottom and back diamond plate. The front red lighs and rear loading lights are FRR pieces. Then the decal work started. The lettering is yellow on a red outline. However, the yellow would not show up on the red, so it got a white layer after the red. It was a long process, but well worth it. The side and rear windows are decals. All of the Health and Hospitals Corp decals are on my newest NYC EMS decal sheet, coming out soon. The decal sheet also includes the windows. The wheels are resin copies of the Code 3 Ford F350 ambulance, with actual Code 3 tires. I made the mount for the beacon. The beacon will be changed out to the correct CJ184, when I have time to tool a new base from aluminum. The mirrors are also from a Code 3 model. I have a few more versions in the works.
Attachments
NYC EMS Bread Box 1.JPG
NYC EMS Bread Box 1.JPG (213.19 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
NYC EMS Bread Box 2.JPG
NYC EMS Bread Box 2.JPG (269.72 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
NYC EMS Bread Box 3.JPG
NYC EMS Bread Box 3.JPG (222.69 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
NYC EMS Bread Box 4.JPG
NYC EMS Bread Box 4.JPG (239.83 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Administrator

CCFR-45

Re: Early NYC EMS

Post by CCFR-45 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Sharp looking little truck.

Thanks for sharing
Steven

Check Out My Photography Website Full of Police, Fire, And Aviation Pictures.
www.bluefireflight.com