Greenlight vs Code 3 Ford ambulance

Discuss all fire, police, station, emergency vehicle collecting.
Rich
Site Admin

Greenlight vs Code 3 Ford ambulance

Post by Rich » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:19 pm

I got my shipment of the new Greenlight ambulance, in 1:64 scale. I wanted to do a comparison, to see how it matched up to the Code 3. The box is not the same size. It is taller, wider and a bit longer. Sitting next to the Code 3, it is noticeable. In one of my photos, you can see they are matched up from the top of the bumpers. If you go to the bottom of the bumpers, the Greenlight is even taller. This is not a bad thing. The Code 3's rear doors were not to scale with the truck, so Greenlight actually corrected this. The compartment doors are all in the same places, but the Greenlights are a bit larger, again a good thing. The most noticeable of the side shots, is how small the Greenlight side lights are. They are quite a bit smaller than the Code 3's. So small that none of my decals fit them, except the smaller light decals for the Greenlight Heavy Duty ambulance. If you recall on the Code 3, the front box warning lights were made integral with the corner clearance lights. Greenlight did not replicate this, so you do have nice separation there. I like the box on the Grenlight, it just looks right. However, the cab is quite different. The cab is smaller than the Code 3, perhaps because Greenlight already had the cab from the pick up truck. The most obvious error, is the front bumper. It is way too short in height. Its not even close to coming down to the bottom of the cab, like the Code 3 does. The cab overall, is smaller than the Code 3. Its not that much, but it is different. Of course, it does not have any mirrors.
If you look at the photo of the rear of them, you will notice a huge super glue blob on the Greenlight, just below the right top orange light. That pretty much renders this one useless for resale. It will be my first to strip and repaint. Overall, the quality is not as bad as some of the recent models I have gotten. You will also notice, that the cab does not sit level with the box. This is due to the chassis being plastic. The box is held to the chassis with two mushroom fasteners, the cab with just one. That makes flex when they flatten the mushrooms, and gives the distinctive bend at the cab/box. I can be fixed by gluing the cab back to the box front, or drilling out the front box mushroom. In the side shot, you can see that I added cabinet door lock decals from my Hallmark ambulance sheet, and the lens detail on the scene lights from my Greenlight ambulance sheet. All in all, this is not a bad model, and there is plenty to work with for customizers. Cant beat the price either.
Attachments
Greenlight vs Code 3 1.JPG
Greenlight vs Code 3 1.JPG (193.69 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Greenlight vs Code 3 2.JPG
Greenlight vs Code 3 2.JPG (124.63 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Greenlight vs Code 3 3.JPG
Greenlight vs Code 3 3.JPG (160.31 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Greenlight vs Code 4 3.JPG
Greenlight vs Code 4 3.JPG (144.45 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Administrator

CCFR-45

Re: Greenlight vs Code 3 Ford ambulance

Post by CCFR-45 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:04 pm

Thanks for posting the comparison. It looks pretty good, especially for the price.
Steven

Check Out My Photography Website Full of Police, Fire, And Aviation Pictures.
www.bluefireflight.com

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:11 am

Well that shoots my Del Prado copy thought out of the water. I am pleased for the price point. In many ways, better but not. I have a few ideas planned for the custom shop. But I also got it for the box alone.

I was thinking, do you think GL will get the same flack Code 3 did for making the Boston unit?

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:55 pm

Jeff, I think its a new age for collecting. I dont think the collector cares that Boston didnt use the model they are making. I think these days, collectors want it instantly, and at an affordable price. It seems its quantity over quality these days. What I will never understand, is why in the world Greenlight brought out a 30 year old ambulance in the first place. Its already been done, they are readily available still, and not all that expensive. I would think that a current box, such as you see from the major manufacturers, on a current F350 two door chassis, would sell until they run out. I only see a limited number of these new old versions selling. I think they really limited themselves as to what they can make with them. If they had done a new Horton, or Wheeled Coach or something along those lines, with the two door cabs, they could do those until they wear out the tooling. After all, FDNY does use new ambulances. I just dont get it.
Administrator

Mark B

Post by Mark B » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:11 am

Thanks Rich. Very detailed review.

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:08 pm

RIch,

I am 100% with you on both the decision to make this vs a modern box and the collector mindset. So many are just happy they have a box to use they overlook how much better a current model would be. This is so limited in releases. A current box could have been tied to their current pick chassis models all day long.