Paint Prices

Discuss all fire, police, station, emergency vehicle collecting.
Sirentoys

Paint Prices

Post by Sirentoys » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:39 am

I prefer to use automitive paint on my models when I can. I do use the old rattle can. But it works well for me. Yesterday I picked up 2 cans at a major auto parts store. The total was almost $37. This for 8 oz where the cans used to be 12. Prices have more than doubled in the past couple years. Plus there are fewer color options. Even the big box store paste they call paint has risen to almost $8 a can. And there is little to no "model" paint available.

It is getting to the point it is difficult to make a model.

What is everyone else doing? Unfortunately right now I don't have the ability to use an air brush which might reduce the costs. But then there is a new learning curve.

Rich
Site Admin

Re: Paint Prices

Post by Rich » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:03 pm

I use automotive paint. The last order I placed, it was almost $200. You can get a lot of models in one of the large cans, but sometimes I am only going to paint one or two. Its over $20 a can always. I use the same brand of primer and clear. Thankfully, they are not as high as the paint. I just never had the results I wanted with model paint. I have used the automotive paint, and sprayed it in to a water bottle with the top cut off, then poured that in to my air brush when I am doing a delicate model, or want exact coverage. For diecast, I just use it from the can. Of course, when a can goes bad, or it is bad from the start, you are out that money. I have never found a place that will take a return on custom mixed paint.
Administrator

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:59 am

You are definitely doing it the better way. I just don't have the ability to air brush.

scubaski

Post by scubaski » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:41 am

We have an automotive paint store hear in Pensacola Florida where I can buy the auto paint by the ounce. Sure saves alot