GL Jumped The Shark?

Discuss all fire, police, station, emergency vehicle collecting.
Sirentoys

GL Jumped The Shark?

Post by Sirentoys » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Greenlight just released their flat drawings for their upcoming HD Trucks series. Interesting because they have a Chicago PD step van in it. I thought to myself, Self you don;t recall any step vans in the CPD fleet. So a Google search later and I find a reference photo to the Greenlight model. It is odd, because it is a HO scale model featured on the 1/87 Vehicles modeler pages. Their art work replicated Jim's model right down to the error of the Chicago flag on the rear.

https://1-87vehicles.org/photo571/stepv ... ago_pd.php

So has GL run out of ideas and now will just recreate anything? I know my interest is waning in their offerings. The Military and Fire series look like they are reaching for topics to model without a care to the interest. I suspect the interest will fall off soon for these. It is almost as bad as M2's Coke brand models.
Attachments
Chicago Step Van 33230C.jpg
Chicago Step Van 33230C.jpg (227.4 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Chicago Van Jim Brown.jpg
Chicago Van Jim Brown.jpg (193.45 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

Rich
Site Admin

Re: GL Jumped The Shark?

Post by Rich » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:00 pm

I have noticed that Greenlight, really does not care at all for accuracy. Which is OK, the collectors for the most part, don't either. Each new release is hailed as a "must have" for the collection, right or wrong. The sandbox size, seems to suffer more than the 1:43 and larger scales, although those offerings are generally ripe with errors. For the life of me, I will never understand a 1:18 scale "Artisan" series model, having the roof lights stuck on with two through the roof pins. In something of that scale, there is no reason why the lightbars cant have proper scale mounting pads/feet, and mount like the real version. Sort of wrong in my mind, to call something like that "Artisan". Its more like a large toy. But these days, scale, accuracy, fit and finish are a thing of the past with diecast. There are still some nice offerings out there, but they come in at a higher price range. At some point, the market will be so saturated with 1:64 scale Crown Vics, not even the diehard collector will want them. What then?
Administrator

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Rich,

I couldn't agree more. I stay away from the larger than the small scale stuff since I don't think it is worth it. On the smaller scale, I am stuck with a bit of the curse for completeness. In that I have been in for so long I kind of feel like I need to continue with the Hot Pursuit line. But more and more I am looking at just getting stuff I need for a custom or a good parts donor model.

I am amazed at what some of the older HP models are going for. I could cash in on my stash and do quite well. :)

Troy

Post by Troy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:54 am

Did you see their recent FB posts of who is doing development?? Some 20 year old's who have no idea about police or military history. I'm surprised they haven't released a line of Vegan, gluten free, choose your gender die-cast cars...I'm sure they're on the horizon.

Brian49

Post by Brian49 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:57 am

I tend to view GL, Autoworld and most of those others as a step above Matchbox. For the price you generally get a fairly decent model and I do more a “buy what I like” approach. For the price point of the 1/64 stuff I expect a percent of models will be close enough or some what artist liberties taken as in the case of the CPD Step Van. If they are done tastefully I don’t have an issue, plenty of kitbashers on this site and others have made fantasy models of “they never had one but what if” and we don’t shame them.

Another point is I don’t get here is the double standard of what collectors want, when companies like Code 3 and First Response announced their closings we would hear things like “Fire and Police Collecting is dead” and say “we will not get another like them but hopefully someone will produce something new, even if it’s not what we had.” Then when someone offers some interest in producing emergency equipment we complain if it’s not all 100% accurate, as a community we Emergency Vehicle Collectors need to accept some middle ground and I think in the 1/64 and 1/43 market GL is making some offerings that are acceptable but not always 100% for the price point.

GL is been a great gateway model series for my 12 year old son and his interest in Emergency Vehicle models and the number of GL’s he has far out weighs the number I own. They are affordable enough he can pick some up with his allowance, save up to buy certain ones, and over all realistic or acceptable enough. I suspect for every Emergency Vehicle collectors demanding a Fire Replicas level model, there are hundreds fine with a Greenlight.

I also see way, way more in the “must have”, “it’s selling out fast” and such type post on this site for Fire Replicas and such then the sites I visit that focus more on the “sandbox” models.

UnMarkedCarr

Post by UnMarkedCarr » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:05 am

Great post, Brian! I agree with just about everything you said! This hobby is definitely not dead but is thriving in ways different than it did even 5 years ago. I've changed what and how I build right along with the change in resources. I love what we do and how we all share our productions! But, humans will be humans and we'll never be happy and we'll always want more. Just my two cents.
Mark

Mark B

Post by Mark B » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:07 am

I remember having a conversation with the iconic Dennis Deal nearly a decade ago. He described how difficult it was becoming even for him to deal with police departments in getting their permission to use their markings etc. He also found it increasingly expensive to produce the product even back then. He came out with a product that spoiled the purist police car collector. When Dennis finally stepped away from the business he left a hole that I can never see being filled again. It was extremely unique.
I think GL do a reasonably good job with their police lines. When you look at other main diecast companies that have attempted police lines such as Racing Champions, Johnny Lightning, Hot Wheels and Matchbox, they have failed and failed miserably. GL is head and shoulders above them.

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Good spirited discussion by all. My original post was in reference to the use of a model to create their own model instead of a real unit in a "collectibles" line of cars. I accept for the $6-7 range there will be the need for accommodations and some inaccuracies. It does frustrate me when they really don't even try. The latter can be seen on the 1/43 scale line. They have all the tools to do it right and then just go their own way. Light Bars and wheels come to mind as often just wrong.

The new fire line for me looks like an amateurish attempt to cash in on the market. I am sorry but that is what I see, Collectors have been begging for a fire line so they decide to do it. But really just a bunch of pick ups (for the square body nuts). The LA utility is an example that jumps out at me. if you do a google image search you will see all of the utilities have the striping on them. But they chose the 1 unit in the fleet that doesn't have it and it isn't even an emergency unit but rather a shop truck.

They make a nice, relatively cheap base for customs and for that I am appreciative. But collecting the entire line is getting harder for me to justify.
Mark B wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:07 am
I think GL do a reasonably good job with their police lines. When you look at other main diecast companies that have attempted police lines such as Racing Champions, Johnny Lightning, Hot Wheels and Matchbox, they have failed and failed miserably. GL is head and shoulders above them.
As for this, I disagree they failed. They ran their course. And they were what they were for the time. I expect current stuff to be better. Matchbox are $1 toys so they do get more of a pass. (HW never really tried and really aren't still trying) Racing Champions started he entire trend but ended production 20 years ago making some well done models. Johnny Lighting much the same as RC.

Final note, again goes back to the original post that does GL really have an interest to "do the work" to keep the line going? The staff does not seem interested in hearing form collectors on ways to improve. And the new staff don;t seem to be really into the topics they are making and a level of interest that made their stuff really good early on. Now that these really are $10 singles and $15 trucks, I need to make that decision. But I see many more feeling the same way in conversations. I wonder what it would look like if Auto World decided to do some police cars.

jlemler

Post by jlemler » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:58 pm

While I respect everyone's opinion and will defend your right to express it. I wish to caution people that some of these criticisms where along the same vane as those made against Code 3. Code 3 finally packed it in and we where left with no company to meet the market for the average collector. I still miss Code 3. Just my humble opinion.

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:21 pm

Code 3 was done. Like it or not, they could no longer put out something affordable at the price point we were all happy with. When this happens, a company (any company) has a choice. Either fold, or change your business model. I was involved in the decision making at the end. It was best to fold the operation. Honestly, how many Mack CF's or Ward LaFrance models does one need? Code 3 was no different than any other company that makes toys or collectibles. Dennis knew this at FRR when they decided to fold that operation. There are only so many collectors, and they are only willing to spend so much money, on so many things. I would venture to say, the collectors that frequent this forum are in the majority when it comes to the truth, that we bought too many fire trucks. As we get older, we now wonder what will we do with them. Collecting, no matter what it is, has always been cyclic. Before Code 3 left us, they had lost a good portion of the collector base. Not due to Code 3, but mostly due to the way we change in our tastes and hobbies. I for one, would never caution anyone on voicing an opinion. Even being involved with Code 3, I was plenty vocal about poor quality, and especially inaccuracies. No way would I settle back then, or today for something sub standard. Even if I can fix the problem, its not wise money spent on poor quality or something grossly inaccurate. Greenlight has thousands that follow them on Facebook. When they mess up, the masses there are quick to point it out. And rightfully so. If its a $10 toy or a $1000 collectible, the buyer expects a certain amount of quality or accuracy. I for one, have a hard time accepting mediocre from anything, especially models. To heap praise on a company for turning out crap, or substandard quality, is rewarding mediocrity.
Administrator