Welly 2016 Dodge Charger Pursuit

Discuss all fire, police, station, emergency vehicle collecting.
Rich
Site Admin

Welly 2016 Dodge Charger Pursuit

Post by Rich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:19 pm

The new Dodge body style 2016 Charger is out from Welly. This one never had potential, and is actually much worse than I thought it would be. First, it is not 1:24 scale. It is typical Welly fit the box, at or around 1:27 or 1:28. At least they print both scales on the box, so take your pick. Either way, its not 1:24 scale. The really sad thing, all of the releases, including the police version have a molded in to the body trunk spoiler. It is really stupid looking, and of course would not be on a police car. But even if you wanted the civilian RT version, the spoiler is not accurate, and looks really stupid on the trunk. I am sure Ebay will be flooded with tons of them with LED's and woo woo sirens installed. Thus, Welly has no reason to revise for accuracy. You always think its great when something new comes out, but not this time. Buyer beware.
Attachments
Welly 1 24 Scale Dodge Charger.jpg
Welly 1 24 Scale Dodge Charger.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
Administrator

scubaski

Re: Welly 2016 Dodge Charger Pursuit

Post by scubaski » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:28 am

I agree Rich not to mention to make a custom you can't use most of the 1/24 decals I already have so it's a complete redo to some extent

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:23 am

I could live with the off scale if I had to. But honestly, in your entire life, how many police cars has a person ever seen, with a molded in spoiler? It brings what could have been a nice model down to child toy level. You really cant make a true replica from it, because of the molded in spoiler. In order to do so, you would have to grind and file it off, which is way beyond the skill level of many. But like I said, there will be those who just heap praise on it, because its the new body.
Administrator

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:39 am

Many already are Rich. There also seems to be a contest on Facebook to see who can make a model first.

Rich
Site Admin

Post by Rich » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 am

There was a time, and I am sure you remember Jeff. If FRR got the slightest detail wrong, the forums would go wild. They would call Dennis out in public, and go to every forum and every place they could think of and post negative reviews because an antenna was in the wrong spot, or the license plate was not on straight. I see a few places already, where someone refers to these cars as "great". The only thing great about them, is the amount of time kids will have in the sandbox with them. I can not imagine anyone that makes "replicas" would actually try and sell one or pass it off as a genuine police vehicle. Molded in spoilers is sort of like Matchboxesq, if there is such a word. But what do I know. Harbor Freight does have grinders on sale.
Administrator

scubaski

Post by scubaski » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Don't forget the Code 3's. There were some that you just couldn't make happy but the spoiler on this thing and trying to pass it off as Law Enforcement is lunacy. You can bet I won't be using these to make any customs. Back before FRR when Road Champs quit making the FCV in 1/43 and I had to switch to Welly, it was a real pain to have to do all my decals over again. Not going to happen this time. would rather just quit making them

Sirentoys

Post by Sirentoys » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 am

Yes FRR and Code 3 couldn't win no matter how well they did or how far ahead of the competition they were.

Years ago something like this would lead to a resin cast new and correct body. But those days are gone as well.

M1968Q

Post by M1968Q » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:23 am

It's not a spoiler - it's the a new style of license plate readers. :) :) :) But seriously, it is ridiculous that such a glaring error doesn't get the scrutiny that it deserves.