Fire Replica base

Discuss all fire, police, station, emergency vehicle collecting.
lad3der

Fire Replica base

Post by lad3der » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 am

I'd like to remove my Fire Replica Miami engine from it's base. Except for a hand written card, there is no booklet or paperwork. And the base doesn't look like it comes apart easy. So, before I destroy it, has anyone taken one off the base yet? Thanks for any help.

J-M

Re: Fire Replica base

Post by J-M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

I have taken a few off (and discussed this with Nick ...) as this is my only issue with FR models. I understand why he does this, though, and have discussed an alternative which I mean to draw up. I have a hard time damaging any part of a model or packaging, but I do prefer them off. The best way I have found is to cut a flap in the cardboard / fabric base around each screw head and fold it back to expose the screw head. I then rest the base on its side and support the fire engine and remove the screws. I am loathe to do this, but the way I have built my cabinets I enjoy having the models displayed with the others. It does however, permanently damage the packaging which causes the collector in me to squirm.

J-M

Hoser

Post by Hoser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm

I have taken over a dozen off their bases, and have perfected it pretty well.The bottom piece is glued on and can be removed if you carefully cut around the perimeter and work inward. Once the screws are exposed you are good to go and just have to punch holes in the bottom plate and reglue it to the wood bottom. The only visible difference is 2 small screw heads visible from the bottom when completed. Foam glue from Hobby Lobby works great

JoeO

Post by JoeO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Hoser wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 pm
I have taken over a dozen off their bases, and have perfected it pretty well.The bottom piece is glued on and can be removed if you carefully cut around the perimeter and work inward. Once the screws are exposed you are good to go and just have to punch holes in the bottom plate and reglue it to the wood bottom. The only visible difference is 2 small screw heads visible from the bottom when completed. Foam glue from Hobby Lobby works great
Same here, Brad is right on how to do it when he says "work inward".

Here's a few pictures, this is the bottom piece, using the exacto go all the way around it. Once that is off you can see the screws, the last picture is the truck back in the case.
Attachments
IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG (75.67 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG (130.49 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2194.JPG (115 KiB) Viewed 3498 times

J-M

Post by J-M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 am

The first one I tried like that must have been bad luck - there was so much glue I could not get it off. I think I must have got an accident base ... anyway it looks like this one went back on well. Very good to know.

J-M

lad3der

Post by lad3der » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks guys. I greatly appreciate the info. It worked out very well.