Larry Philips Collection out for bid

Discuss all fire, police, station, emergency vehicle collecting.
Sirentoys

Re: Larry Philips Collection out for bid

Post by Sirentoys » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:51 am

I haven’t opened my box yet. But I fully expect to find a mess. I have bought from auction houses over the years. None of them seem to know how to pack.

All of my loose ones were purchased as parts trucks. o maybe they saved me some work/

CCFR-45

Post by CCFR-45 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Joe,

I was able to get one of the models from the auction house. I have to say, I wasn't very pleased with service provided by them. I understood there was a premium to use the service, which was fine. However, the shipping prices were, in my opinion over priced, as well as the way it was packaged was very poor and a major disappointment. The model was described and pictured as being in the original box. The model I received was just in the plastic case.

Model wasn't damaged. But Still a disappointment.

I'm glad I didn't buy more.
Steven

Check Out My Photography Website Full of Police, Fire, And Aviation Pictures.
www.bluefireflight.com

J-M

Post by J-M » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 am

They did a terrible job. Terrible. 50% of what I bought is dust, not like broken off mirrors, but shattered. It is going to make it hard for them to do the next auctions - they said there will be 2 more later in the spring, but they will have to get their act together before then.

JoeO

Post by JoeO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm

J-M wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 am
They did a terrible job. Terrible. 50% of what I bought is dust, not like broken off mirrors, but shattered. It is going to make it hard for them to do the next auctions - they said there will be 2 more later in the spring, but they will have to get their act together before then.
Sorry to hear about your experience, thanks for passing the word along that they will be doing more, I had figured there was much more memorable that Larry had.

J-M

Post by J-M » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:21 am

Joe

It does make me think about this more - if all things go well I've got quite a few more years to think about my "estate" - but I joke with my wife often about what models she should not let go cheap ...

Seriously - we all take this hobby seriously, and most of us want to keep it as long as possible - but often a family does not know how to handle it. I had to sell off a close friend's large military collection a few years ago so I know how much work selling a collection can be. These collections really need to be handled by people who specialize in die cast because for most of these big auction houses it is just a pain in the neck. I'm still talking with them about all my damage but I think for them this is rapidly becoming more of a nightmare than they realized with all the damage that occurred.

J-M

PFR60

Post by PFR60 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Seems like I am in the minority on this. The 10 or 11 models I received didn't have any damage from transport. The only issue I had was the tail rotor on a helicopter had broken off but the appears to have happened in original delivery (the box was unopened). The packing wasn't pretty but it seemed to hold up well. I will say the shipping/handling was very high. Over $100 for two boxes.